water damage restoration

Perhaps one of the many challenges any homeowner, or renter, faces is the damage from water, fire, mold, flood. This water damage can come in many forms: a leaking pipe, standing water in the basement or lowest level of the house from a flood or a dam, floods caused by heavy rainwater, melting snow, or overflowing rivers, or even the water from the sprinklers that were set off in a fire. Mold removal is a pretty straightforward task, providing that you know how to do it right.

Most homeowners will encounter some form of a mold problem, whether due to a major disaster such as flood or fire, simply due to a damp basement or attic. Whatever the reason is, someone will almost always deal with the task of mold removal.

Mold is very easy to detect: you can see it. Mold can either be green or black in color, and can look like a stain or a fuzzy discoloration, and can be found in water damaged areas. If it isn’t visible, you can usually tell that there’s mold by its earthy and musty odors. Typically, where there is moisture, there will be mold. So also, observe if you or any family member get any allergic reactions when they enter a particular room.

Houston Water Damage Repair and Mold removal is not your typical clean up, as molds can cause allergies and other respiratory problems. So some homeowners only get sick when or after they have attempted to get rid of the mold, and not before, due to improper mold removal techniques.

The first step you are to take in your endeavor towards mold removal is to assess the damage. How big is the infected area? If the mold has been growing for a long time, or after a major flood, the infected surface areas may be too big for you to handle. If the infected area is bigger than 10 feet, or less than 3×3 feet, then it might be time to call in a professional. To protect your family, the room may either be sealed, or you might be asked to stay someplace else during the duration of the mold removal process.

If the infected area is less than 3×3 feet, then you may do the mold removal process on your own.

First things first: locate the source of moisture. If, after a flood, or water damage due to a fire, you may want to wait until the area has dried off sufficiently. Remove items in the room, and dry them off in a separate area. Mold grows quickly, typically within 48, so it’s important that you dry these items in a separate and well-ventilated area.

Books are notorious for harboring molds, so if it’s too damaged to recover, you may want just to dispose of them. If the source of the moisture is a leaky pipe, then have the pipe fixed first before you begin with the clean up. Basements are prone to molds since the enclosed space makes it so humid, so you may want to install a dehumidifier.

Air conditioners and heating units are prone to developing mold because of the moisture that can accumulate in and around the unit. Make sure you do visual inspections weekly and complete inspections monthly so you can stop the mold before it gets much worse.

After you’ve repaired the source of the Water Damage Repair issue, make sure you have adequate gear before you begin the mold removal process. Wear sealed goggles and a breathing mask, as not to inhale any of the mold spores. Wear clothing that can be disposed of, and rubber gloves. It’s important not to touch any of the molds with your bare hands.

In cleaning, use dry soap, or a simple combination of a 1/2 cup of bleach in a gallon of water will do. This will kill the mold as well as disinfect the surface area. Make sure you check underneath the carpets and behind cabinets, as these are mold-prone areas. Wood and other porous material should be cleaned with dry soap or soap suds, and wiped dry, as to prevent further growth.

Mold removal is a crucial step in house maintenance, so it is important to check and rid your house of mold from time to time. Not only will keep your house healthy, but it will keep you and your family healthy and mold-free too!